Academic Health Center
Stay Connected

Trigeminal neuralgia surgery gives patients their lives back

Try to imagine a pain so excruciating that some patients have even told physicians they’d contemplated ending their life to alleviate the suffering. Sadly, this is the type of pain characteristic of trigeminal neuralgia (TN).

Known as the suicide disease, TN is a painful disorder that affects the trigeminal nerve, the nerve primarily responsible for sensations felt in the face.

Patients battling TN experience occasional, sporadic or constant pain in the face that makes everyday tasks like talking, smiling, shaving, eating, and brushing your teeth unbearable. In some cases, even a light breeze against the face can result in terrible pain.

In many cases, patients will completely avoid these triggers, which can result in poor hygiene, weight loss and tooth loss, among other effects. In extreme cases, some patients will take their own lives.

Unfortunately, getting an accurate diagnosis of TN is often the root of the problem. Due to the trigeminal nerve’s location, many patients and their doctors or dentists believe they have some sort of dental issue and teeth are often removed.

Mary Lou Peterson suffered from TN for several years. She too, was close to taking her own life if it had not have been for a TN hotline. Thankfully for Peterson, she was talked out of committing suicide and is now the support group leader of the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association – Twin Cities.

So what does having TN feel like?

“It’s like one hundred knives stabbing you repeatedly in the temporal area,” said Peterson.

Once TN is properly diagnosed, but the pain persists and medications no longer help, surgery to sever connections of the trigeminal nerve is a viable option. In many cases, it can alleviate the issue for good.

Andrew Grande, M.D., is an assistant professor and neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery and performs TN surgeries at the University of Minnesota Medical Center. Grande has seen the impact TN can have on a patient’s quality of life and therefore better understanding TN is a major priority for Grande and his colleagues.

“The reality is that we still don’t know what causes trigeminal neuralgia,” said Grande. “Ultimately I think it’s important to get to the bottom of why people get trigeminal neuralgia. Then we can begin to develop better treatments designed to get at the root cause of trigeminal neuralgia.”

In order for Grande to make an accurate diagnosis of TN, he collaborates with the Center for Magnetic Resonance Research (CMRR) to obtain the highest quality images using high-powered magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Pierre-Francois Van de Moortele, Ph.D., assistant professor of radiology and Christophe Lenglet, Ph.D., assistant professor of radiology and Institute for Translational Neuroscience (ITN) Scholar, are now a part of a newly developed facial pain center that is dedicated to the care of patients with facial pain.

When asked what the surgery has meant to her, Peterson simply stated, “It gave me my life back.”

This treatment is also very rewarding for the doctors who perform the TN surgery.

“This is why we do things. If you can take someone who has disabling pain and return them to a normal life, that’s the reward,” said Stephen Haines, M.D., Head of the Department of Neurosurgery.

1. June 4, 2013 7:55 pm | Linda E. Kornegay Says:

I have had TMJ for four years have had unsuccessful surgery and am now in more pain than ever and am taking pain pills and wearing pain patches (all unsuccessful) my life revolves around my pills and resting in bed…..I am desperate for help. I had my surgery at Duke Hospital in Durham, and the surgeon was Dr John Sampson. Any help will be such a blessing. Just having someone to talk with that understands the pain and having to stay home to avoid not being able to get to your pills, heating pad and your bed! I have almost given up any relief or cure but reading about your physicians and hospital has given me hope for my life. Best regards and hope to travel to your facility…..Linda E. Kornegay. 354 Friendly Drive—Goldsboro, NC 27530 (919) 735-6175. Fax.

• February 1, 2015 10:28 am | Rosemary parker Says:

I had the surgery for T.N. that’s simpler for me to say. About 2 half months ago. I still have pain. Not as bad as it was but I do still have it. The doctors say its normal it takes time to heal just nee to see if they know what there talking about.

• February 1, 2015 10:33 am | Rosemary parker Says:

Mine the blood vessel was pressing on the nerve.

• February 16, 2015 2:27 pm | Julie Deans Says:

I am having the operation on Tuesday February 17, 2015. Did u go home the same day? How did u feel after the operation?

• February 24, 2016 11:08 pm | Laverne Says:

Hi my name is Laverne, I had the surgery nov30 2015, I no longer have pain, I’m still healing but pain free, best thing I could of done.

• July 29, 2016 10:28 am | Barbara Brown Says:

I have have my TN for about 15yrs. Came and went. Lived with it. Now over a month ago it came and didn’t leave. In heavier meds where I can’t leave house either. Always in bed also. Meds don’t alviate it just makes it a little less. But also makes me dizzy and nervous. It’s hell. Was Recomended for rizotomy by Johns Hopkins. But I know that not an end to it. Just temporary. Feel like I’m in the rabbit hole.
      Barbara B.

2. June 5, 2013 9:13 am | Matt DePoint Says:

Hi Linda – Thank you for reaching out to us. We have notified Dr. Grande and he will be contacting you soon. Take care.

• April 4, 2015 7:36 am | swati Says:

Hi im living in amsterdam The Netherlands can you tell me that where is the clinic of doctorGrande , i would like to contact him for my husband Who has TN …he has severe pains and just underwent needle block surgery…but pains are still there he needs some good second opinion for TN.
      Plz help us to find some good clinic or hospital to treat TN.

• May 14, 2016 7:52 pm | Kate Banks Says:

I have bilateral TN and bilateral ON. I am a 44 year old mother of two in otherwise optimal health. My life has been devastated. Would you please contact me re: a consultation with Dr. Grande?

Thank you.

3. July 2, 2013 4:04 pm | Keasi Tafea Says:

I have been in pain for 4 years and waiting for an operation but am too scared.But reading all your comments is so helpful.I still come too work but I dont have the happiness I use to have before.I could not wash my face,brush my and drinks when am in pain.Sometimes I just force myself to eat and drinks.Please help me.

• July 2, 2013 4:10 pm | Matt DePoint Says:

Hi Keasi – Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear about your struggles with TN. Can you please send me your contact info and I will have someone from Dr. Grande’s office contact you?

4. July 18, 2013 6:27 pm | Keith Moses Says:

My dad suffers from TN. He has had gamma knife with no success. Nothing helps the pain. Please contact if you could possibly help.

• July 19, 2013 1:19 pm | Matt DePoint Says:

Hi Keith – I’d be happy to pass your information along to Dr. Grande. Can you please provide me with your contact information? Thanks.

5. August 26, 2013 10:04 pm | Michelle B Says:

My father as well has tn. A prescription used to work but no longer does. What is he surgery that Grande performs. I would really appreciate more information.

• August 27, 2013 8:27 am | Matt DePoint Says:

Hi Michelle – Please contact the Department of Neurosurgery at the U of M for more information regarding the TN surgery. The number to call is 612-624-6666.

6. September 20, 2013 8:57 pm | Steve Diffenderfer Says:

I was diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia in March and as of late, I have been experiencing some facial pain as well.

I know I’m not at the point where “it has taken over my life” but I’m hoping to prevent it from getting there.

Is there any info that you can provide? Actions to take? Meds to try?

7. September 23, 2013 11:45 am | Justin Paquette Says:

Steve, our physicians can’t provide direct medical advice to patients without seeing them in the clinical and knowing more about their medical history, symptoms, etc. What we can share here is limited to general information to help set patients down a path to a constructive conversation with their doctor.

You’re doing the right thing by staying ahead of your condition. If you’d like more information directly from our facial pain specialists and the multidisciplinary team here at the U of M, feel free to contact the Neurosurgery clinic at 612.624.6666. Or, I can pass your contact information along to our doctors – feel free to email me your contact info at I’m happy to have one of our specialists reach out to you.

8. September 25, 2013 10:04 pm | John Says:

I had this issue and my doctor gave me IVIg since then I have been doing well. i asked for the treatment after reading on cidpusa.

• October 5, 2015 12:05 pm | Kate Houston Says:

What do you mean by IVig? intravenous what?

9. January 2, 2014 10:51 am | Leslie Killebrew Says:

I am writing for my husband. He had heart attacks in 2008 and then started having headaches. He has had prostate cancer in 2012 and then in 2013 had squamous cell carcinoma in his head and had Mohs surgery and then plastic surgery before they got it all and then had 33 treatments of radiation. He was scheduled to have gamma knife trigeminal neuralgia surgery before the cancer but decided to take care of cancer first. He has had gamma knife and his neurologist said he did not have trigeminal neuralgia but when he had the gamma knife it made him have it. Nothing has helped. Been on all kinds of medicine for years. They are now giving him tagrotal but still is not helping. Please let me know what you think and I would be glad to talk to you. My phone number is 601-955-1865. Thanks for your help!!! Betty Killebrew

• January 3, 2014 8:41 am | Justin Paquette Says:

Betty, I will pass along your name and contact information to Dr. Grande’s office so someone from our clinic can reach out to you. Thanks for reading and all the best to you and your husband.

• October 16, 2015 3:16 pm | Ananda Says:

Hi I suffered with TN for 2 years .i already had custody of my grandson and was waiting to have my granddaughter too.i had been on such high dose of medication that it started to poisen me.i was I’ll felt like a zombie and enough was enough.i researched and found a doctor in London.dr WAdley .i went to see him privately but had to have my op on NHS due to the expensive equipment used.i am now 16 months after surgary pain free and leading a normal life with NO meds.Lokk him up and if you can afford it make an appointment as soon as you can.good luck .amanda

10. January 6, 2014 9:43 am | JEFF Says:

I have had TN pain for the last 3yrs…..though my condition is swelling on meckels cave which according to my neurologist through radiologist are saying my TN is damaged…..though am under steroids(predinisone)…..for atleast 2 months…..i tried tegritol for pain but never work… doctor performed trigeminal ganglion block which also i dont see it working…..i would like to know the best procedure to end this plus i would like to know where is your hospital located……

11. January 23, 2014 10:20 pm | Danielle Says:

I suffered from TN pain for 6 years. I couldn’t get help until October of 2013. I had to drive 10 Hours for help. I was given all the information about the decompression surgery, but not what the recovery would be like. I would like more information about recovery from surgery. Please email me . TN has taken over my whole life. I would like no love to have my life back.

12. January 25, 2014 5:16 pm | Thanh Truong Says:

My wife had TN since 2008 and treated by Oxcarbazepine 150,two pills a day>She took this medicine in 3 years and she felt pretty good and she stops taking medicine,but whenever she feel seizure and pain come back,she takes again Oxcarbazepine 150 as before,but presently her pain persist as Oxcarbazepine 150 does not work any more(more seizure and intense facial pain)
    I think she would need a surgery once for all to cure her TN.
    What is your recommendation and your treatment for her TN.
    Thank you very much for your assistance.

13. May 15, 2014 9:02 am | Ross Says:

Hello,i am writing this in hope i can finally get some help for my wife. She has had trigeminal neuralgia since 2012 when a dental surgeon removed part of her lower jaw to pull out her molar. Since then it has become increasingly debilitating for her to chew talk, sleep or take care of any of our 5 beautifull children. As of this moment she has gone three days without being able to do any of the aforementioned daily tasks, and it is crippling her completely with no trigger points and no medication she is losing hope to the extreme.
    Please can you help her rid herself of this debilitating affliction.
    our number is 804-210-1242

14. May 20, 2014 1:18 am | Lydia Solis Says:

I’ve been suffering from TN for about two years, after trying different medications, I tried acupuncture and it seemed to help for about a year, but now the pain is back and constant. I’m having problems talking, chewing, sleeping etc. I’m a veteran, 63 years old and VA just called me about getting surgery at the VA medical center in Syracuse, NY. Can anyone tell me how long is this surgery.

15. May 29, 2014 12:05 am | Debbie Says:

My husband had a tooth extracted 2 years ago. He got a bad infection and nerve damage from this. He was on a pick line for 6 weeks, has taken several things but nothing helps. The pain is horrible. I wondered if a nerve block could help. I am not sure he can take it any longer. we live in St. Joseph, Mo. We need to find a Dr. maybe in Kansas City that can help him. It is unbelievable that all the different places we have been no one can figure out what to do. I just need your help soon. thanks

16. June 9, 2014 10:15 am | Betty Says:

Hello, I have been having pain above my left eye when I cough, bend over, sneeze, or any kind of straining. I have had MRI, MRA, CT Scan, Spinal tab, and they have found nothing, could this be Trigeminal Neuralgia? I have had this since Oct, 2013.

17. June 16, 2014 10:03 am | Sundeep Singh Says:

Hello Every one, My Mother Aged about 48 is suffering from TN Since 4 years, She had MRI and doctors suggested TEGRITOL CR 400, and GUDRIL if the Pain in at high level, still she gets shocks of TN and it is not permanently cured, we had contacted higher doctors also, they had changed the tablets but with same Formula, Iam totally confused, may be it is because i had searched alot about TN on internet, It is horrible we cant expect the pain when it comes,It is my Humble request for all to suggest the good Medication, which is safe and effective, I Love My Mother alot, i can’t held her like this, Please sugges…………

• August 6, 2014 9:46 am | Rohit Says:

My mother is also suffering from. Can you suggest good docotors for it in Bombay or Delhi

18. June 17, 2014 4:01 am | Angela Says:

Hello, I would like to ask for your assistance in our case. My father has Trigeminal Neuralgia and I can’t contain the pain that he is experiencing whenever it triggers. These past few months he experiences it frequently and his only rest is sleep. He tried a lot of medicines but it cannot take away the pain. Please do provide me sufficient information on this case. Thank you.

• September 16, 2015 8:38 am | Jerry Griffiths Says:

I only have mine in sleep or just wakeup did find out anything

19. June 24, 2014 1:09 pm | Megan Rodriguez Says:

I have had TN for 3 yrs went into remission and then two bad wisdom teeth flared it up again and I have been on tregtrol for 7 months now with semi pain free days. It also effects my ears makes them have a burning sensation around the outside of them. I would like some more information regarding your treatment. Where do I send my contact information.

Thank you

20. July 30, 2014 8:06 pm | Cathy Donovan Says:

My adventure with TNT started Monday afternoon and the pain……add on top of things my MS. Today immune unbelievable pain was given a name and as I looked for info on TNT I got scared. Would love to be part of research and treatment. Electric be waiting to gere from you

21. August 6, 2014 1:44 pm | Sheryl Carns Says:

My mom was recently diagnoised with TN. Does anyone else have hearing or short term memory loss? She did not seem to have this issue untill her recent bout of TN.
    Also…can someone reccomend a good physican that specialized in TN in NC????
    Thank you!!!

22. September 14, 2014 5:43 pm | Charmaine Schodde Says:

I don’t know if I have TN but I do have a lot of the symptoms after my infraorbital nerve was severed when a German Shepherd bit off an inch of my lip. It hurts for anything to touch or brush up against the area at and above my lip. Even a slight wind will cause a stinging sensation. I live with chronic pain. Some days are worse then others. I have to drink using a straw if the glass/mug is thick. There’s a constant tingle. When talking I feel light electrical shocks. I’m interested in meeting others with chronic facial pain. What has worked for them?

• January 7, 2016 9:11 am | rosanna Says:

are you better. what kind of treatments have you had. sorry to hear about the chronic pain

23. September 17, 2014 11:01 am | Sam Pakan Says:

My mother has suffered from dementia for about five years. Her TN started shortly after we noticed the first symptoms of dementia which were short term memory loss and anxiety. The use of anti-seizure drugs dramatically increased her anxiety often resulting in constant anxiety attacks. We are desperate to help her get off pain meds which exacerbate the anxiety. Is surgery a possibility for a 90-year-old TN sufferer?

24. October 5, 2014 1:11 am | shanthi Venkataraman Says:

Suffering from trigeminoneuralgia for the past 25 years with intermittent intervals of one or two years.everytime pain returns with increased intensity.I reside in Chennai.suggest an expert here.what is the percentage of long need to stay in hospital.what’s the approximate expense.when can we resume to work?Pl reply.

25. December 3, 2014 11:52 am | Sergio M. Cozzone Says:

I have been dealing with TN for the last few years. I had the MVD procedure and the results were wonderful. Unfortunately, they only lasted for 1.5years. The pain is back and it is worse than before. My neurosurgeon is talking about gamma knife radiation. How effective is this procedure? Can this nerve be permanently rendered ineffective? What are the side effects? Losing hope.

26. January 4, 2015 12:53 pm | Anna Daggett Says:

I have been dealing with severe headaches for years diagnosed as migraine, tmj, cluster headaches but none of these quite fit. lately I have been reading about occipital neuralgia and it seems to fit my symptoms. The last headache I had lasted two days with severe pain. These occur all to frequently. I’m wondering if I could benefit by a visit to your clinic.

27. February 12, 2015 8:43 am | Randy New Says:

You say the surgery helps but I never saw what the surgery is, micro vascular decompression or endoscopic vascular decompression or is there some other. I was diagnosed about 3 months ago, most of what i’ve read about TN says that it will eventually stop responding to most if not all drug treatments.
    I have heard many sad stories of people going threw years of drug and other therapy that the pain broke threw and they eventually got a EVD surgery that fixed it. Why make someone go threw the pain, expense
    and loss of that part of their life when they will likely have to have this surgery anyway?

28. February 13, 2015 6:09 pm | Jennae Brookover Says:

My daughter has had bilateral trigeminal neuralgia for 4 years now. We need help she doesn’t deserve this pain she is in. She’s out of school and has been on so many meds that do not help at all. Please give me some guidance.

• January 7, 2016 9:08 am | rosanna Says:

have you seen a pain doctor. tack to them about a nero stimulator before any gamma knife. i hope you are better now

29. February 25, 2015 4:13 pm | cecilia Del Percio Says:

I was in a bad car accident 5 yrs ago. I was rear ended so hard it broke the rear wheel axle in my car. I suffered from headaches, concussion, vision blurriness, and herniated disk. 3 yrs later my jaw would lock up couldn’t eat only yogurt or cottage cheese. I was diagnosed with TMJ disease given a night guard and physical therapy with ultrasound to jaw and exercises. I was able to eat again although suffer from arthritis. Soon after a troth hurt intensely, dentist said I didn’t need tooth not enough room for it. Oral surgeon cut tooth in half sending shocks to teeth before it and after it. I have had 4 root canals trying to get rid of pain. Endodontist didn’t believe it was trigeminal neuralgia because my pain was more constant. finally saw facial pain specialist in Phila Thomas Jefferson Hospital who diagnosed me withTN. Just had MRI and MRA. Started on Lamictal have some headache went lay head on pillow flat ,sometimes feel throbbing in head. Understand it may take several weeks to get pain relief, as dose must be started slowly. When pain gets bad especially after eating I pop night guard in and this helps to relieve pain. Just plain bad luck in Delaware.

30. June 4, 2015 12:34 pm | Zeina Singh Says:

My mom suffers from TN since past 4 yrs and got her surgery done 3 months ago. She is still in constant pain and it is so sad to see her suffer so much. She got her surgery done in India and is currently visiting me in US. She doesn’t have medical insurance. I would really appreciate any kind of help. 203-712-2339

31. June 15, 2015 12:48 pm | Patricia Says:

I developed TN after having implants on my upper left side two years ago. I presently take lyrica and alieve for pain. Nothing seems to work any longer. My quality of life is terrible! I have gained so much weight and have lost the ability to look forward to anything. I have seen 20 doctors, dentists, oral surgeons and facial pain specialists. I need help. I am 56 year old female from NY.

32. June 16, 2015 12:23 pm | Helen Lawson Says:

I have been suffering with TN for years. I feel like a guinea pig because I have tried so many different medicines with “no” relief. My only relief is sleeping and that is minimal relief. I am unable to work, or participate in family and social gatherings due to the pain and side effects of the medicine. My quality of life is horrible. If anyone has any suggestions to help with the pain, please let know.

33. September 19, 2015 8:35 pm | Donna Stewart Says:

I had 2 gamma knife radiation treatments a year apart for my horrible TN, and the 2nd one worked, and am now 5 years without any pain. Only side effect is left facial numbness, but it isn’t noticeable and does not affect my quality of life

34. October 17, 2015 12:51 pm | Barbara Stern Says:

My father had TN of the forehead and eye area 23 years ago and had a glycerol rhizotomy which was done back then with no sedation. It was an incredibly painful procedure, but the results were almost immediate. He has been pain free for 23+ years and is now 70 years old. This past December (2014) his TN returned, however this time it is in the middle of his face and upper teeth on the same side as his original TN was. Because of some recent surgeries and health risks, they recommended he have the Gamma Knife treatment. He had the Gamma Knife treatment on October 15, 2015 and we are hopeful that he will get relief from this procedure as well. I encourage any of you questioning what you should do to go in and get an appointment with a neurologist that treats this condition. There are many options for treatment and you may have to try more than one, but it can be conquered! Medications will work for awhile, but the treatment options for longer term success are much better. Good luck to you all. It is in awful condition to have!

35. February 7, 2016 10:08 am | Donna Fontana Says:

I had a car accident in 2013 and since then was diagnosed with TN, Occipital Neuralgia,and Tinnitus, I am not sure if the accident had anything to do with this or not, I have had TMJ since I was a young adult.
    I continue to live to work 40 hrs and by the end of the day I am zapped between the lack of sleep and the pain there is nothing left.
    I do not enjoy my grandkids as I use to due to the noise levels and exhaustion from the lack of sleep.
    I have had the injections, TN blocks , botox , with short term relief.
    I met with a neurosurgeon at one of our local hospitals and he had the compassion of a burnt board. I felt attached and belittled, when my husband and I left his office I cried and my husband said to me that was brutal every thing I said he attacked as if I was wasting his time.
    I get another injection on Friday and it will last 4-6 weeks there has to be a better way to attack this beast.
    I continue to work 40 hrs however some days I am not at my best and that bothers me, the pain at times is off the scale and I feel overwhelmed and just want to cry. My husband is very supportive.
    I feel hopeless my quality of life is becoming horrible. If anyone has any suggestions to help with the pain, please let know.

36. March 8, 2016 1:14 am | maria elena helbes espanola Says:

Hi i’m elena espanola from philippines. I’m also suffering from trigeminal neuralgia and i felt so helpless. Carbamazepine doesn’t work. How can i seek help from your clinic if i’m from other country. Here is my contact no. 0928-3992622. Thanks and hope you will consider my situation.

37. March 27, 2016 8:22 pm | C. Boykins Says:

My mom has TN she takes pills for the pain, had the gamma knife surgery with no success a couple of years ago. Now the pain is getting worse. We would really like some information and any suggestions.Thanks

Join The Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *