Academic Health Center
Stay Connected

University of Minnesota Ambulatory Care Center set to break ground

Photo via Canon Design

Editor’s note: This blog is adapted from content partially developed by the University of Minnesota News Service.

Late last week, the University of Minnesota Board of Regents approved final agreements among the University, University of Minnesota Physicians (UMP) and Fairview Health Services for a new academic Ambulatory Care Center.

With agreements in place, this Friday crews will break ground on the new $160.5 million, 330,000-square foot facility at 909 Fulton St. SE, Minneapolis. The center, scheduled to open in January 2016, will provide new space for clinics currently housed in the Phillips Wangensteen Building and allow for much-needed expansion.

Clinics and an outpatient surgery center will incorporate education and research for transformative team-based care at the new Ambulatory Care Center, which will enhance the experience for patients and students.

The University will execute two 30-year leases and a parking facility agreement; guaranties with UMP and Fairview for payment of $150.5 million in special purpose bonds issued by the U and $12.2 million in capitalized interest; and a master agreement that establishes the overall framework for clinic management and operation.

For more, visit stories on the new University of Minnesota Ambulatory Care Center from the Star Tribune, Pioneer Press and Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal.

1. February 26, 2015 12:04 pm | Terry Goldmen Says:

A hospital based on ambulatory surgery can be an odd thing. A hernia surgery made my father, when he was 16, unable to walk for two days. The same surgery, the hernia is genetic, did nothing to me. As soon as I, as an 8 year old boy, awoke right after his surgery and immediately stood up to put on his pants. Still groggy from the gas, I was removing the hospital clothes, putting on the clothes I came in, and kept saying, I want to go home. They canceled the extra two day stay I was supposed to have, and took me home. Therefor, my surgery that I was supposed to take a few days to recuperate from, became ambulatory. How much you want to bet there are stories of the opposite?

Join The Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *