Academic Health Center
Stay Connected

Back-to-school stress, how much is too much?

It’s no secret that when the summer sun begins to set, it doesn’t take long for back-to-school stress to set in.

Health Talk spoke with Michael Miller, Psy.D., L.P., an associate psychologist in the Department of Psychiatry about how this strain can impact the wellbeing of students, and what parents can do to help combat stress as school is in session.

Read more

Parental control: How to interact with your child about diet

New research published in the journal Appetite emphasizes the importance of how different forms of food-related parental control can impact a child’s dietary intake and weight-related outcomes.

The study, which utilized data from the University of Minnesota HOME Plus study, explored ways parents of young children interact around food and sought to understand how food rules and routines established by parents impact the food choices and weight status of children.

Read more

In the news: More than half of nursing mothers lack adequate workplace accommodations

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends nursing mothers breastfeed for six months, but a recent study from the School of Public Health revealed less than half of nursing mothers returning to work after giving birth have access to adequate accommodations to do so.

Published in Women’s Health Issues, the research analyzed data from 2,400 mothers who had given birth between 2011 and 2012, and showed 60 percent lacked the proper facilities and break times. The remaining 40 percent that did have access to accommodations were more than twice as likely to breastfeed for the entire six months.

Read more

University of Minnesota study finds mothers in poorer health are less likely to breastfeed

Pediatricians agree exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life provides a wealth of benefits to a mother and child. But new research from the School of Public Health at the University of Minnesota finds one-third of women enter pregnancy in poorer health, and are less likely to plan to breastfeed and less successful at exclusive breastfeeding when they do plan to breastfeed their babies. The study found women who are obese, have diabetes or have hypertension were 30 percent less likely to intend to breastfeed than mothers without health complications.

Read more

Breast feeding is baby friendly, doctor approved


Nurse early and often to start building a successful nursing relationship.
Photo courtesy Flickr user Gatanass

Research continually shows breast milk is best for babies, but nursing can be stressful for mothers. There are a few great ways to get off on the right foot, so we checked in with Emily Borman-Shoap, M.D., director of newborn care at University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s Hospital, to learn more.

“Amplatz Children’s Hospital is designated Baby-Friendly. This means we are passionate about providing children and parents with the care they need to get off on the right foot, especially when it comes to breast feeding,” said Borman-Shoap.

Here’s what Borman-Shoap tells new moms both in her office and on the unit:

Read more

Healthful eating starts with healthy conversations at home

Parents, you may want to watch your mouths. What you say to adolescents about healthy eating – and how you say it – may have a major impact on their food intake and perceptions about a healthy body image according to new research out of the University of Minnesota.

The article, “Parent Conversations About Healthful Eating and Weight,” was published online this week in JAMA Pediatrics. The study shows that conversations with parents about weight or size were associated with more dieting and disordered eating behaviors among adolescents – and not just among those considered overweight.

Read more